Insomnia is a condition in which a person will be having trouble in getting good sleep. The term “Anidrata” is used in texts of ayurveda to describe this condition.
Causes of Insomnia:
- Psycological causes like Depression, anxiety, stress etc
- Medications like steroids, diuretics, blood pressure medications etc.
- Diseases like asthma, cancer, persistant body pain etc.
- Sleep disorders like sleep apnea
According to ayurveda Insomnia is caused due to fear, anxiety, anger, over exertion (physical and psychological) , fasting, uncomfortable bed, diseases like colic pain etc. Panchakarma which has not been performed methodically may also lead to insomnia. Vitiated vata causes sleeplessness.
Effects of Insomnia:
- Inadequate sleep causes
- Lowered energy levels
- Delayed reflexes.
- Ability to learn, remember and concentrate are affected
- Mood swings
- Erectile dysfunction
- Increased blood pressure
- Cardiac risks etc.
- Dark circles under eyes
- Dry skin
- Appearance of wrinkles on skin.
- Hair loss